The Department has two Divisions: Pre-Primary and Primary
MANDATE OF THE DEPARTMENT:
ROLES OF THE DEPARTMENT:-
- Ensure increased access, quality and equity in Pre and Primary Education.
- Ensure timely dissemination of policy information and guidelines to all stakeholders.
- Coordinate and liaise with District and Municipal authorities on all matters concerning Pre and Primary Education.
- Provide optimum monitoring of Pre and Primary Education activities.
KEY FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Develop strategies for improving the quality of Pre and Primary Education.
- Develop and ensure implementation of appropriate policies, plans and guidelines for effective coordination and management of Pre and Primary Schools.
- Guide, monitor and evaluate the implication of set policies and guidelines, on the teaching and learning process, in collaboration with the stakeholders.
- Ensure effective and timely feedback from all stakeholders of basic education.
- Ensure sufficient capacity to manage quality teaching and learning process in the schools.
- Ensure there is value for money in the programmes run under the department.
- Ensure oversight and appraisal of all staff under basic education department.
- Ensure continuous improvement of all staff under basic education department - Initiate capacity development programmes for all.
- Develop annual budgets for the department.