To supervise, coordinate and guide the admissions, study, training and teaching and research at all institutions of higher learning:-
Objectives of Higher Education Department:-
- Monitoring and supervision activities of all the tertiary institutions, with the view to ensuring the following:
- Teaching to produce high-level human resource.
- Qualitative research both basic and applied takes place to produce high calibre academic and technical human resources.
- Public service through a variety of extension activities.
- Books, journals and research papers are published.
- Serving as store-houses of knowledge and centres of excellence.
- To admit Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) leavers into other tertiary institutions.
- To co-ordinate activities of regional organizations such as the Inter-University Council of East Africa (IUCEA), African Institute for Capacity Development (AICAD) and matters of Ugandan students on scholarship abroad.
- To solicit for and administer scholarships through central scholarship committee and Uganda independence scholarship trust fund.
- To make interventions on policy issues relating to higher education.