- This event has passed.
National Drop Everything And Read (DEAR) Day, Uganada
March 12 @ 11:00 am – 11:30 am
- DEAR stands for “Drop Everything And Read.”
- In an effort to promote a reading culture and love of learning on a national scale, an unprecedented number of stakeholders have come together to create the following vision – at the exact same time, on the very same day, everyone in institutions or community organizations across Uganda will put down what they are doing and engage in reading. Just imagine what a powerful message about education and the importance of literacy this activity will send, our nation reading together, all at once.
- The Ministry of Education and Sports sets the date for DEAR Day at the end of each year. The upcoming DEAR Day is March 12, 2020.
What do I do to prepare my institution or organization for DEAR Day?
- Announce the event and begin talking with the teachers, staff, students, pupils, community members, etc. about the importance of DEAR Day.
- Create a program for your institution or organization. Note if you will need reading materials and decide what activities you will do.
What activities can I do on DEAR Day?
- Silent Reading – This activity works well when you have a lot of reading materials. Each student or participant picks up one reading material, such as a novel, newspaper, or textbook (no class notes). Then everyone starts reading at the same time emphasizing reading silently. It is a good idea to invite other administration and staff to join the activity to encourage silence and to have a powerful, shared experience of reading together as an institution or organization.
- Buddy Reading – This activity works well with large groups of people and few reading materials. Buddy reading is when two people take turns reading the same material to each other.
- Read Aloud – This activity works well with large groups of people and few reading materials. This is where one or more people take turns reading the same materials out loud to the whole group.
- Writing Workshops – Whether it’s pupils, students, staff members, or group members; hold a writing workshop. Have people do activities such as creating their own story or free writing on their goals for next year.
- Guest speaker/reader – If you have a special visitor at your event, inquire if they would be willing to lead a read aloud.
- Music, Dance, and Drama (MDD) collaboration – Utilize your MDD group to create a performance for your institution or organization regarding literacy. Groups can perform on National DEAR Day for everyone.