If you witnessed or received exemplary service from an MOE staff, we would like to hear your Comments!
National Council for Higher Education
At a time when higher education is being transformed from the \r\nmonopoly of the elite to the right of the masses and when global \r\nforces are transforming the way higher education is being delivered, \r\nthe role of a regulatory agency becomes very crucial. To regulate \r\nhigher education, and to guide the establishment of institutions of \r\nhigher learning as well as ensure that quality and relevant education \r\nis delivered, the National Council for Higher Education was \r\nestablished by an Act of Parliament.\r\n
Corporate Governance of NCHE\r\n
The national Council is a semi-autonomous and self-accounting \r\nbody with a secretariat headed by the Executive Director. The day to \r\nday operations of the secretariat are vested in the Executive Director\r\n who reports to the National Council. In the execution of the policies\r\n of the NCHE, the Heads of Departments, who constitute the Management \r\nTeam, assist the Executive Director\r\n
The provision of relevant, broad based technology driven, \r\ndynamic, sustainable and quality higher education accessible to all \r\nqualified Ugandans.\r\n
To set standards and regulations to ensure that all public and \r\nprivate tertiary education institutions in Uganda create, sustain and \r\nprovide relevant and quality higher education for all qualified \r\nUgandans and to meet the local, national and global higher education \r\nchallenges of the future.
The Council consists of eighteen persons, the majority of whom \r\nare representatives of various social constituencies including public \r\nand private universities, religious organizations, commerce, industry,\r\n agriculture, the general public, the Ministry of Education and people\r\n with disabilities. The Council members are appointed under Section 7 \r\nof the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act, 2001 as \r\nfollows:\r\n
- Chairperson appointed by the president.
- Vice Chairperson elected by the Council members.
- Two Representative of Vice-Chancellors of Public and private Universities.
- Two Senates Representative Private and public Universities.
- Four Representative of religious non-degree awarding institutions appointed by the Minister of Education.
- Three Representative from Commerce, industry and agricultural Sector.
- Four members of other sectors of higher education.
- One Representative of the public elected by the Council.
- One Representative of people with disabilities.
- An officer in charge of Higher Education, Ministry of Education and Sports.
- Two Representatives of Students from Tertiary and Universities.
- Executive Director, National Council for Higher Education.